Terms to Outline
- Louis XIV
- The Fronde
- The Estates General
- Jean Baptiste Colbert
- Wars of Louis XIV
- War of Devolution (First Dutch War)
- War of Spanish Succession
- Treaty of Utrecht
Questions to Consider
- Why was Louis XIV considered the quintessential absolutist ruler? What characteristics of his rule make him differ from his predecessors?
- What are the various ways that Louis XIV controls various social classes?
- How did Jean Baptiste Colbert develop the French economy? What were the limits of these economic improvements (hint: wars)?
- Why was Louis XIV constantly at war during his reign, and what was the result?